Federico Pistono is an entrepreneur, angel investor, researcher, author, science educator and public speaker. He holds a BSc in Computer Science from the University of Verona, and he's a graduate of Singularity University, NASA Ames Research Park.
He is Head of Blockchain at Hyperloop Transportation Technologies, the first supersonic travel on land in history; and Futurist and Technology Expert in the program "Codice: la vita è digitale" (Code: life is digital), which airs on Rai1, the major national TV channel in Italy.
Federico has more than 15 years of professional experience in a variety of different fields: Computer Science, Wireless Technology, System Administration, Web Development, Product Management, UX design, Human Machine Interaction, Education, Science Communication, Video Editing and Production, Screenwriting, and Directing.
At 31 years old, Federico became the youngest member of Italian Angels for Growth, the largest and most prestigious Angel Investors group in Italy. He has co-founded four startups—two in Italy and two in the US—in the fields of e-learning, media production and distribution, wireless communication technology, and has consulted on technology and innovation for governments and Fortune 500 companies across the world, including Lufthansa and Google.
He's author of three books: "Robots Will Steal Your Job, But That's OK: How to Survive the Economic Collapse and be Happy", which became an international success, published in English, Spanish, German, Italian, Portuguese, Korean, and Chinese; the sci-fi novel "A Tale of Two Futures"; and "Startup Zero.0", a book on innovation written in Italian.
His work has been cited and utilized by major economic institutions, universities, and think tanks, such as The Economist Intelligence Unit, the Italian Government, Google EU Public Policy and the European Commission.
Honors and Awards
- 2014: $40,000 prize for entrepreneurship by the Chilean government and acceptance into the program Start Up Chile.
- 2012: Young Italian Knights Award for his outstanding achievements and Social Impact.
- 2012: Full Scholarship for the Graduate Study Program at Singularity University, NASA Ames Search Park, Silicon Valley.
- 2009: Winner of the International Journalism Competition on Climate Change for the COP15, European Journalism Centre.
- 2007: Winner of the "Linux-Mega-Quiz" at LinuxTag, 2007.
- 2004: Full Scholarship for the UWC, United World Colleges Baccalaureate Programme.
Articles by Federico
- Futurism | Advanced Transport - Imagine Taking an Uber with a Robot Driver. We’re Not Far Off. (September 22, 2017)
- New Scientist - As tech threatens jobs, we must test a universal basic income (September 17, 2015)
- Umano - How A Nerdy Kid From Nowhere Self-published A Best-seller And Got Noticed By Google CEO Larry Page And The Wall Street Journal, Narrated by Larry Rice (November 10, 2014)
- CNBC - Get ready, robots are going to steal your job (June 10, 2014)
- Corriere Innovazione (Italian), part of "Corriere della Sera", largest newspaper in Italy. (February 2014 edition)
- Forbes and The Huffington Post - Machines Will Outsmart Humans. We Better Be Ready (April 12, 2013)
- IEET Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies and io9.com - Robots will steal your job, but that’s okay: How to Survive the Coming Economic Collapse (Febrary 10, 2012)
Unethical Research: How to Create a Malevolent Artificial Intelligence
Federico Pistono, Roman V. Yampolskiy, proceedings of Ethics for Artificial Intelligence Workshop (AI-Ethics-2016). Pages 1-7. New York, NY. July 9 -- 15, 2016. arXiv:1605.02817 [cs.AI].
In the Media
- Coin Telegraph How Blockchain Revolution is Going to Make Global Economy More Fair: Federico Pistono, November 16, 2017, by Cyril Gilson
- TekNLife (Spanish) Arranca el IoT Solutions World Congress 2017 (English: The IoT Solutions World Congress 2017 Starts), October 1, 2017, by Javier San Juan
- Folha de S. Paulo (Portuguese, largest newspaper in Brazil) Livro comemora desemprego tecnológico com ingenuidade (English: Book celebrates technological unemployment with ingenuity), September 2, 2017, by Felipe Oliveira
- StartupItaliaBlockchain, cybersecurity, AI, smart city. Su Raiuno arriva “Codice, la vita è digitale” (English: Blockchain, cybersecurity, AI, smart city. On Raiuno arrives "Code, life is digital"), July 28, 2017, by Anna Gaudenzi
- Epoca Negocios (Brazilian Portuguese)Bilionários do setor de tecnologia embarcam no movimento da renda básica universal (English: Industry Tech Billionaires on board with the basic movement), July 20, 2017
- Hospodářské Noviny (Czeck) Budoucnost je v digitalizaci. Velcí hráči budou investovat hlavně do internetu věcí a umělé inteligence (English: The future is in digitization. Big players will invest mainly in the Internet of Things and Artificial Intelligence), April 11, 2017, by Václav Lavička
- Handelsblatt (German) „Millionen werden ihren Job verlieren – aber das könnte gut sein” (English: Millions will lose their jobs - but that could be good), April 4, 2017, by Johannes Steger
- Inverse | InnovationFighting Malevolent A.I. With Cybersecurity, December 26, 2016, by Prof. Roman V. Yampolskiy, University of Louisville
- La Nacion Economia (Spanish) Federico Pistono: La tecnología duplica la rentabilidad (English: Federico Pistono: Technology doubles profitability), June 26, 2016
- Diario de Sevilla (Spanish) Los robots nos robarán el trabajo, pero eso está bien (English: Robots will steal our job, but that's ok), May 10, 2016, by Francisco Correal
- New Scientist Checklist of worst-case scenarios could help prepare for evil AI, May 23, 2016, by Chris Baraniuk
- Emirates News 24 UAE AI & Robotics Award for Good, February 6, 2016
- Il Fatto Quotidiano (Italian) Mazda, Challengers Conferences, Federico Pistono: ‘Guida autonoma creerà milioni di disoccupati, ma è un’opportunità’ (English: Mazda, Challengers Conferences, Federico Pistono: 'Autonomous guide will create millions of unemployed, but it's an opportunity'), October 16, 2015, by Claire Bal
- Zero Hora (Brazilian Portuguese) Federico Pistono: "Deveríamos abolir o trabalho" (English: Federico Pistono: "We should abolish work"), August 29, 2015
- The Financial Times Lessons in luxury, June 12, 2015, by Jo Ellison
- El Universal (Spanish) Federico Pistono: "Los robots robarán tu empleo", May 10, 2015, by Andrés Pinzón-Sinuco
- Vice Magazine Why the Tech Elite Is Getting Behind Universal Basic Income, January 6, 2015
- Prisma (German) - Roboter sind die neuen Ausländer (English: Robots are the new Aliens), November 10, 2014
- The Speaker “In the End, Evidence Is All That Matters” – Pistono on “Free Money”, November 10, 2014
- Huffington Post (Italian) I robot ci ruberanno il lavoro? (English: Will Robots steal our jobs?), November 3, 2014, by Andrea Stroppa
- Cosmos Magazine Learning to live with robots October 2014
- Wired (Italian) Singularity University, perché ci si va e che cosa si porta a casa (English: Singularity University, why going and what you will bring home) , October 2014
- Lettera43 (Italian) Movimento 5 stelle, Federico Pistono: il metodo è il messaggio (English: Five Star Movement: the method is the message) March 11, 2014
- Focus Finance (German) Kühne Zukunftsvision Müssen wir bald nur noch 10 Stunden pro Woche arbeiten? (English: Bold vision for the future Must we soon only work 10 hours a week?), March 8, 2014, by Christina Miedl
- La Nuova Provincia (Italian) Un biellese nella casa dei Nobel (English: A Biellese in the house of Nobels),
- RadioNova (Norwegian) Make your job. The robots come.
- QuinternaLab (Italian) Robot al posto di uomini
- Spoke at 657 Oslo, a co-working space in downtown Oslo, Norway.
- Spoke at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences Oslo, Norway.
- Long interview in 6 parts with Tom's Hardware (Italian) "I robot ci ruberanno il lavoro ma ci ridaranno la vita" (Robots Will Steal Your Job, But Also Give Your Life Back).
- Review of “Robots Will Steal Your Jobs, But That's OK” at the Sturbridge Times.
- Interview with Computerworld (Dutch) Esplori: all video education in any language
- Interview with Computerworld (Dutch) "The Pitfalls of Innovation"
- TG1 (Italian National TV) TEDxTransmedia, ecco il manifesto etico dei media
- Wired (Italian) TEDxTransmedia 2013, quattro italiani a Roma per l'etica dei nuovi media
- Webwereld (Dutch) "Innovation is between your ears' (video)
- Qatar Foundation (English) "ROTA Helps Qatar Take The Lead In Education', Aug 20, 2013
- El Universal Interview (Spanish) "Los robots robarán tu empleo, pero está bien"
- VINT (Vision, Inspiration, Navigation, Technology) - Vint Symposium. @federicopistono: Exponential Innovation, June 14, 2013
- The Socialist Party of Great Britain - Will Robots Cause Capitalism to Collapse?, June 1, 2013
- Jornal do Comércio (Portuguese) - Você vai perder seu emprego, May 20, 2013
- Tudo+ (Portuguese, Video) - Interview on Brazilian TV Tudo+, May 15, 2013
- Free Software Association - Interview with Free Software Association Brazil, May 15, 2013
- GLOBAL BITS (Portuguese) - Homens terão que reprogramar pensamento para competir com robôs, May 15, 2013
- Giornalettismo (Italian) - M5S, l’attivista che chiede democrazia a Grillo, March 4, 2013
- Republic+Queen (Italian) - Zeitgeist, il cambiamento utopico che spinge a fare, May 16, 2013
- Huffington Post (Italian) - Quirinarie: "l'hackeraggio come uno schiacciasassi". Lo staff M5S e la Dnv Business Assurance spiegano cosa è successo (English: Quirinarie: "hacking as a crushing pot." M5S staff and Dnv Business Assurance explain what has happened), April 12, 2013
- Giornalettissimo (Italian) - Movimento 5 Stelle, le dieci gaffe del dopo-voto (March 26, 2013)
- Barbadillo (Italian) - Il caso. Federico Pistono, attivista grillino: “Nessuna democrazia partecipata nel M5S” (March 6, 2013)
- Huffington Post (Italian) - Movimento 5 Stelle, blog e meetup non bastano più. Un videoappello e un documento dei grillini Pistono e Barillari agitano il M5S (March 6, 2013)
- C-Realm Drive, Flow & Purpose (video podcast) (March 6, 2013)
- Linkiesta (Italian) - M5S, a livello nazionale manca ancora la democrazia (March 5, 2013)
- Debate with the Socialist Party of Great Britain (Video)Robots Will Steal Your Jobs - Is that OK? (Apr 5, 2013)
- Huffington Post (Video) - A Future Of Unemployment (Jan 28, 2013)
- Wall Street Journal (Video) - X Prize Chairman: Will Robots Do Jobs of the Future? (Jan 15, 2013)
- The Zeitgeist Movement - Federico Pistono at TZM Interviews (Jan 25, 2013)
- Public Policy (Italian) - M5s, l'attivista Federico Pistono, "Grillo risponde solo a chi lo insulta" (December 21, 2012)
- GSP--人生的一个单点 (Chinese Blog, English interview) - Inteview with Liang Yiqing (December 21, 2012)
- Il Fatto Quotidiano (Italian) - ‘Beppe, fai un bel respiro e ascolta i consigli dei tuoi amici’ (December 15, 2012)
- Quotidiano Piemonte (Italian) - Federico Pistono, fondatore dei Grilli Biellesi, propone a Beppe Grillo le ricette per salvare il Movimento 5 Stelle (December 13, 2012)
- 33rd Square - Federico Pistono Shares Why It Is OK For Robots To Steal Your Job (December 12, 2012)
- Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies - A review of Federico Pistono’s book Robots Will Steal Your Job But That’s OK, December 7, 2012, by Piero Scaruffi
- Folha de S. Paulo (Portuguese) - 'Não vamos conseguir manter o ritmo das máquinas', diz autor (November 25, 2012)
- Brasil Economico (Portuguese) - O admirável mundo novo da tecnologia não está longe (November 19, 2012)
- Startupi (Portuguese, Video) - Robôs vão roubar seu emprego, mas tudo bem: entrevista com jovem que analisa alternativas a um colapso econômico (November 13, 2012)
- Der Mensch, das faszinierende Wesen (German) - Nachlese: Roboter werden Deinen Job vernichten – Federico Pistono (November 9, 2012)
- Perestroika - Interview (November 14, 2012)
- ChangeTV (Video) - A different way of living (November 4, 2012)
- Singularity Hub - Interview: Federico Pistono, Author Of “robots Will Steal Your Job But That’s Ok” (Aug 14, 2012)
- Singularity Weblog - Federico Pistono on Singularity 1 on 1: Robots Will Steal Your Job, But That’s OK! (June 12, 2012)
- Eco di Biella - Federico Pistono ‘cervello in fuga’ in Silicon Valley (English: Federico Piston 'brain drain' in Silicon Valley), Febrary 18, 2012, by Giovanna Boglietti
- Transparency Revolution - Some People Think I'm Crazy for Believing This... (Febrary 13, 2012)
- Singularity Hub - Meet The Author Of “Robots Will Steal Your Job, But That’s OK” (Febrary 10, 2012)
- IEET - Robots will steal your job, but that’s OK: how to survive the economic collapse and be happy (Febrary 10, 2012)
- GazetaOnline (Albanese) - Intervistë me Federik Pistono – koordinator i Lëvizjes Zeitgeist Italia, versione italiana (Febrary 16, 2011)
- Radio Wave International (Italian) - Intervista con Federico Pistono (November 27, 2010)
- Movimiento Zeitgeist España (Spanish) - Entrevista con Federico Pistono, coordinator chapter Italia del Movimiento Zeitgeist y autor de la conferencia "Cos'è il Movimento Zeitgeist?" (May, 2011)
- Beppe Grillo (Italian) - Copenhagen, cronaca di un accordo fallito (December 24, 2009)
- La Nuova Provincia di Biella - Federico Pistono tra gli 82 blogger in sfida a Copenhagen (Aug 27, 2009)
Interviews and documentaries
Russia TodayInterview by Abby Martin
CoinTelegraphLargest online Blockchain Publication
Canale 5Italian TV
University of GroningenEconomics and Business student Faculty
Huffington PostA future of unemployment
Our digital IdentityExtended interview from the documentary "Our Technological Identity Crises"
by Colin Marchon, Winner of the 2015 NBR STUDENT GRANT.
Burning ManGift Society and Basic Income, Short documentary on the culture of Burning Man.
XPRIZE on Stark TrekXPRIZE interview on, Star Trek, Isaac Asimov, and How Science Fiction Inspires Innovation
Are you looking for an easy-to-get package with Federico's CV, keynotes, interviews, and high resolution profile pictures?Download the Media Kit